Follow the following steps if you are unable to tolerate CPAP:
- Wear the CPAP mask at home while awake for one hour each day.
- Attach the mask to the CPAP device, and switch the unit "on". Practice breathing through the mask for one hour while watching television, reading or performing some other sedentary activity.
- Use the CPAP during scheduled one-hour naps at home.
- Use CPAP during initial 3-4 hours of nocturnal sleep.
- Use CPAP through an entire night of sleep.
Advance by one step after each five days, once the first step can be carried out without anxiety.